About the Library
Our College has a Central Library which has a large collection of books, journals, magazines, periodicals and newspapers. A special section with computers is provided for the Faculty only. Besides this, students are also provided with a separate computer. There is a spacious reading hall for the purpose of reference work and general reading only. Relevant CDs and DVDs are also provided with for the interested faculty members and students. The College is a member of INFLINET since 2016 and online resources are available through Wired and Wi-Fi internet provided in the library. Reprographic facilities are available for students who would require information for immediate reference. This contributes to augmenting the teaching-learning process. For the benefit of PG students who often take up projects on Tagore an entire section of the library caters to the complete works of Rabindranath Tagore and various literary discussions on him.
Rules of the Library
1. Books are issued for 15 days only. A fine of 20 paise per day will be charged for each volume kept over time.
2. In the event of loss or damage to a book, the borrower shall be liable to make good the loss to the library.
3. A book or journal issued on a Reader Card cannot be taken out of the Reading Room. Violation of this rule shall invite severe punishment.
4. If a student loses her/his library card, she/he shall immediately inform the librarian of the loss. A duplicate card may be issued on payment of fine of Rs. 5 only.
5. A library card is not transferable.
6. Books that have been issued may be recalled at any time. Members are to return books according to schedule.
Services rendered by Library
- Issue-Return of books;
- Access to current issues and back volumes of journals;
- Reference and Information Services;
- Searching On-line Journals, Databases, E-books and Internet facilities ;
- Photocopying Service;
- Current Awareness Service;
- Display of New Arrivals;
- Access to question papers of all previous examinations.
Central Library: Overview
- The college library came into being from the very inception of the college with few numbers of books in a small room.
- Gradually with expansion of the college, the library stretched its length and breadth.
- At present, the central library with an area of approx. 3300 sq. ft. is situated in the first floor of the main building of the college.
- The library has a large reading room which can accommodate 100 students for their studies , separate reading room for teachers, large stack room, computer room, circulation counter, reference section, internet facilitate cubicles , journal display area etc.
- In each shift (Morning, Day & Evening) one Librarian and one library staff are earnestly discharging their duties towards optimal functionality.
- All together, the central library in the college becomes the centre of attraction for all.
LIBRARY AT A GLANCE
- Year of establishment: 1956
- No. of Library staff: 07 (06 permanent & 01 casual )
- Library Access : Open
- Library security system: Manual & CCTV surveillance
- Status of automation: Automated database (partial)
- Library Software: KOHA
- Library E-mail ID: [email protected]
- Stack Area: Textbooks of various subjects are shelved subject-wise in this area
- Circulation Section: Books are borrowed by the students. There are three counters for three shifts.
- Reference Section: This area is surrounded by a large number of general and subject reference collection.
- Journal Section: Journal display area as well as back issues is incorporated here.
- Computer cubicles: Teachers and students can access e-resources.
- Reading Room for students: A large room is provided where about 100 students can study together silently.
- Reading room for teachers: This area is surrounded by Reference collection and Journal collection.
- Special Collection Section: A good collection of documents on and by Rabindranath Tagore enriched our library.
- Rare collection Area: Closed Almirahs are allocated for rare documents.
- Property Counter: Library users can deposit their bag & baggage to enter inside the Library.
- Suggestion Box: To place the users’ demand & grievances.
- 18 courses on Honours & General subjects and 02 PG courses on Chemistry & Bengali are available in our college. And our library is enriched with huge number of Text books on those subjects, plenty of reference books, few journals & CDs-DVDs, and different accesses of e-resources.
- Books : About 40,700 consists of
- Special Collections(Rabindra Collection)
- Rare Collection
- Career Guidance Collection
- Journals : 03
- CDs & DVDs: 15
- E-resources: 7 Lac e-books & 7 thousand e-journals accessed through N-LIST and other e-resources through Internet & various E-Databases.
- Library is open to all for all working days (except Sunday and National holidays as well as holidays declared by the University) from morning 8.30 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. For lending of books Specific time for specific users is mentioned here.
- Morning Section: 8.30 a.m. to 2.00 p.m.
- Day Section: 10.30 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
- Evening Section: 12.45 p.m. to 6.00 p.m.
- PG Section: 12.45 p.m. to 6.00 p.m.
- Reading for all: 8.30 a.m. to 6.00 p.m.
Library Membership (Registration)
- Faculties & College staff: Membership is provided by filling up a membership form only
- Students (UG & PG): Membership form is issued against their College Identity Card.
- Ex-Students & other scholars: Through proper channel.
Two cards are issued to the students.
- Reading Card: For reading any time within library hours.
- Lending Card: For home issue within specified time.
Category of member No. of Books issued Time period
- College Staff: 10 30 days
- UG(H) student: 03 15 days
- UG(G) students: 02 15 days
- Ex-students & scholars: Only reading facility
Overdue fine policy
- Decided by the Library Sub-Committee
Arrangement of Library Books
- Books are arranged subject wise according to Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) 19th ed.e,g,
- 891.44 Bengali Literature
Journals are arranged in alphabetical order.
Library Services & facilities:
- Lending Service: Books are issued to the registered members(Faculties, College staff & students)
- Reading Room service: For all
- Reference Service: For all on demand
- Referral Service: If the required information is not available in our library; users may be referred to another source or place where the information would be available.
- Book Bank Service: A large number of students of our college live under poverty level. They are given special facility to lend books even after form fill up of final examination through Book Bank.
- Periodical/Magazine Service: Different newspapers, magazines, publications of college teachers, college staff, students’ union etc. are provided to the users for reading.
- Study & Research support service: specially for PG students
- Online access of e-resources: Through N-LIST
- OPAC & Web OPAC Service: Through our Library website.
- Career Guidance Service: UG & PG students of final year are provided various competitive books, magazines etc. to prepare their future career.
- Reprographic service: on demand for minimum specified pages.
- Display of Arrival of new books & journals: List of new books, few new jackets are displayed on the display board and journals are also displayed on the Journal Display Area.
- Accessing of Rare books: There are a few rare collections like “Probuddah Bharat”, “Probasi”, “Shanibarer chithi”,”Basumoti” etc.Those are preserved in a closed area. Researchers or writers can access it within the library taking special permission.
- Reading facilities for Ex-students, research scholars & Retired persons: This service is given to them for their research works as well as entertainment.
- User Orientation for New Comers: Every year a orientation programme is organized for the first year students to get acquainted with the library.
Library Rules & Regulations
- Library is a silence zone. Every user has to maintain it.
- Mobile must be kept in silence mode.
- Books should be returned within stipulated time and a fine will be charged for each volume kept overtime as per rules laid by the Library Sub-Committee.
- Signature should be done in the specified Register at the time of entry in the library and exit from the library mentioning their identity and purpose.
- A person who is not a member will be allowed into the library only by permission from Principal/Librarian.
- In the event of loss or damage of a book the borrower shall be liable to make good the loss of the library.
- Library membership must be cancelled for those students who steel books or tear pages of books if they are identified.
- A book or journal taken on the Reading Card cannot be taken out of the Reading Room.
- If a student loses his/her Library Card he/she shall immediately inform the Librarian of the loss. A duplicate card may issue on payment of Rs.5.00.
- A library card is not transferable.
- Books that have been issued may be recalled at any time. Members are to return books according to schedule.
- Users with their bags are not allowed inside the library.
- Spitting, smoking and use of mobile phone are strictly prohibited.
- Swayam Prabha
- National Knowledge Network
- E-PG Pathshala
Digital Resources & Services
IGNOU E-Resource(E-Gyankosh): http://egyankosh.ac.in
Online Reference Books:
- These services are provided through different links.
- A Birth Anniversary of Iswar Chandra Vidyasagar was celebrated in our Library Reading Room on 26th September, 2019.
- A webinar on “Towards web based teaching and learning: opportunities & challenges ”was conducted by Central Library, IQAC, Sree Chaitanya College, Habra in collaboration with Bengal Library Association (BLA), Kolkata on 20th June, 2020.
- Dr Timir Kumar Lahiri (Librarian – Morning)
E-mial ID: [email protected]
- Mrs. Mousumi Satpathi(Ghoshal) (Librarian – Day)
E-mail ID: [email protected]
- Mrs. Doli Saha(Das) (Librarian – Evening)
E-mail ID: [email protected]